DETERMINATION OF DYNAMIC FORCES IN BRIDGES. SINGLE TRACK BRIDGES WITH TWIN GIRDERS (A 7 SERIES)
Stress measurements during the passing of test trains running at various speed stages were conducted on three metal single track twin girder bridges, the spans of which ranged between 5 and 15 m. In accordance with the rules defined by the D 23 Specialists Committee and approved by the ORE Control Committee, an attempt was made at determining the relations between the stress increases in connection with the static stresses under the test trains. Generally speaking, the stress increases produced by test trains without wheelflats remain smaller than 100 kg/cm squared, their maximum values do not attain 20 kg/cm squared even at those measuring points considered to be the most unfavorable ones. The sensitivity of short bridges to the effects produced by wheelflats has once more been underlined, as the dynamic increments attain, on a bridge with a span of 5.55 m length, a maximum value of nearly 300 kg/cm squared. The interpretation of the results obtained under a test train without wheelflats does not show any dependence on static stress or span length, while an increase of the speed is generally accompanied by an attendant and rather regular stress increase. This relation is only partly confirmed under the effects produced by wheelflats, which, as stated above, emphasises however the influence of the span.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-4
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Bridge design; Bridges; Defects; Dynamic tests; Girder bridges; Measuring instruments; Stresses; Structural design; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Bridge stresses; Question d23; Wheel flat spots
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052835
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D23/RP 7/E Intrm. Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM