COMPETITIVE SHIPPING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM - SHIPPING OPERATIONS RESOURCE ALLOCATION PROJECT. VOLUME IV: APPENDIX-1977 SHIPPING DATA
The study was performed to analyze the multiple, complex aspects of ship productivity in U.S.-foreign oceanborne trade. The time period studied was 1973-1977 and primary emphasis was placed upon the analysis of the United States flag merchant fleet. A substantial data base was derived containing both ship data and cargo data for five general cargo vessel classes and four bulk vessel classes, and these data were manipulated to yield the principal results. The actual productivities of the U.S. flag ships and the potential productivities if the ships operated at capacity were estimated. The number of ships, crew and amount of fuel required beyond the existing fleet, in order to achieve a target market share, were extimated. A U.S. flag versus foreign flag productivity competitive assessment was conducted on a case study basis for each of the nine vessel classes. Policy options for corporate management and government based on the productivity analyses were analyzed. Volume 4 contains a sample of the intermediate results which were generated over the course of the project. It includes information concerning the derived data bases.
- Also available in set of 5 reports PC E17, PB80-142730.
ECON, Incorporated900 State Road
Princeton, NJ United States 08648
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Abram, P
- Vambery, R
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 145 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Competition; Containerships; Costs; Databases; Deployment; Fleet management; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Information processing; International trade; Investments; Labor market; Labor productivity; Market assessment; Market surveys; Merchant vessels; Performance evaluations; Productivity; Research; Resource allocation; Shipping; Statistics; Tables (Data); Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Merchant ships
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Capitalized costs; Cargo transportation; Competitive merchant ships; Fixed investment; Fleet requirements; Fleet statistics; Market studies; Shipping research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Research;
- Accession Number: 00313809
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ECON-79-231-1-VOL-4 Final Rpt., MA-RD-930-80041
- Contract Numbers: DO-A01-78-00-3029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM