COMPETITIVE SHIPPING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM - SHIPPING OPERATIONS RESOURCE ALLOCATION PROJECT. VOLUME III-B: SHIP SUMMARY-BULK CARRIERS
The study was performed to analyze the multiple, complex aspects of ship productivity in U.S.-foreign oceanborne trade. The time period studied was 1973-1977 and primary emphasis was placed upon the analysis of the United States flag merchant fleet. A substantial data base was derived containing both ship data and cargo data for five general cargo vessel classes and four bulk vessel classes, and these data were manipulated to yield the principal results. The actual productivities of the U.S. flag ships and the potential productivities if the ships operated at capacity were estimated. The number of ships, crew and amount of fuel required beyond the existing fleet, in order to achieve a target market share, were estimated. A U.S. flag versus foreign flag productivity competitive assessment was conducted on a case study basis for each of the nine vessel classes. Policy options for corporate management and government based on the productivity analyses were analyzed. The volume for bulk carriers contains a summary of the methodology, the detailed results and policy implications for the vessels class. Also presented are conclusions and recommendations based upon the productivity results that were generated.
- Also available in set of 5 reports PC E17, PB80-142730.
ECON, Incorporated900 State Road
Princeton, NJ USA 08648
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Abram, P
- Vambery, R
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk carriers; Competition; Containerships; Costs; Databases; Deployment; Fleet management; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Information processing; International trade; Investments; Labor market; Labor productivity; Market assessment; Market surveys; Merchant vessels; Methodology; Performance evaluations; Policy; Productivity; Research; Resource allocation; Shipping; Statistics; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Merchant ships
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Capitalized costs; Cargo transportation; Competitive merchant ships; Fixed investment; Fleet requirements; Fleet statistics; Government policies; Market studies; Shipping research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Policy; Research;
- Accession Number: 00313808
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ECON-79-231-1-VOL-3BFinal Rpt., MA-RD-930-80040
- Contract Numbers: DO-A01-78-00-3029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM