COMPETITIVE SHIPPING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM -SHIPPING OPERATIONS RESOURCE ALLOCATION PROJECT. VOLUME III-A: SHIP SUMMARY-GENERAL CARGO
The study was performed to analyze the multiple, complex aspects of ship productivity in U.S. -foreign oceanborne trade. The time period studied was 1973-1977 and primary emphasis was placed upon the analysis of the United States flag merchant fleet. A substantial data base was derived containing both ship data and cargo data for five general cargo vessel classes and four bulk vessel classes, and these data were manipulated to yield the principal results. The actual productivities of the U.S. flag ships and the potential productivities if the ships operated at capacity were estimated. The number of ships, crew and amount of fuel required beyond the existing fleet, in order to achieve a target market share, were estimated. A U.S. flag versus foreign flag productivity competitive assessment was conducted on a case study basis for each of the nine vessel classes. Policy options for corporate management and government based on the productivity analyses were analyzed. The volume for general cargo ships contains a summary of the methodology, the detailed results and policy implications for the vessels class. Also presented are conclusions and recommendations based upon the productivity results that were generated.
- Also available in set of 5 reports, PB80-142730.
ECON, Incorporated900 State Road
Princeton, NJ USA 08648
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Abram, P
- Vambery, R
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 128 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Containerships; Databases; Fleet management; Labor productivity; Market assessment; Market surveys; Merchant vessels; Productivity; Research; Shipping; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Competitive merchant ships; Fleet requirements; Fleet statistics; Market studies; Shipping research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00313807
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ECON-79-231-1-VL-3B Final Rpt., MA-RD-930-80040
- Contract Numbers: DO-A01-78-00-3029
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2003 12:00AM