ACTIVITIES, EFFECTS AND IMPACTS OF THE COAL FUEL CYCLE FOR A 1,000-MWE ELECTRIC POWER GENERATING PLANT
Current literature was reviewed pertaining to the health, ecological, economic, and social impacts of the coal fuel cycle. The computerized literature search revealed over 3,000 relevant citations. A review of their abstracts resulted in the selection of over 200 documents which were used to prepare this report. This data base was supplemented by publications of the most recent research results from a number of Federal agencies. The result is the summation of the adverse societal impacts of all segments of the coal fuel cycle associated with a 1,000-MWe power plant. This report does not describe in detail the effects and impacts that result from long-term operation of many power plants nationwide or in a particular region of the country, such as the "greenhouse" effect, acid rain, chronic health impacts of trace metals and carcinogens and long-range transport of sulfates. The report does, however, discuss the impacts of local air pollution, mining and transportation accidents, land disturbances, water pollution, and solid waste disposal. Socioeconomic impacts are also discussed.
Teknekron Research, Incorporated1483 Chain Bridge Road
McLean, VA USA 22101
Nuclear Regulatory CommissionDivision of Site Safety and Environmental Analysis
Washington, DC USA 20555
- Christman, R C
- Haslbeck, J
- Sedlik, B
- MURRAY, W
- Wilson, W
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 423 p.
- TRT Terms: Assessments; Beneficiation; Coal; Coal industry; Coal mining; Crash risk forecasting; Economic impacts; Electric power generation; Environmental impacts; Expenses; Freight traffic; Handling and storage; Pollution; Public utilities; Risk assessment; Social factors; Social impacts; Solid waste disposal; Storage facilities; Thermal power plants; Transportation; Unit trains; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Utilities
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00313745
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NRC-03-78-176
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM