DETERMINATION OF DYNAMIC FORCES IN BRIDGES. DIRECTIVES FOR THE CARRYING OUT OF TESTS ON BRIDGES FOR THE DETERMINATION OF DYNAMIC FORCES
The individual arrangements for the tests bridges should be incorporated in the general test programme. Only single span rectangular bridges of classical construction are to be chosen, in front of and behind which, there are not track elevations at a distance as large as possible, but at least equal to 20 m. The track on the bridge and its approaches must be well maintained; there should not be any rail joints on the structure. The arrangement of the rails on the bridge should not give rise to any appreciable interference in the interaction of vehicle and track; rail joints within at least 2 m from the extremities of the bridge should be avoided as well as the laying of sleepers directly onto the masonry abutments, since they present hard points. If these conditions can only be fulfilled at one side of the bridge, then only test runs from this side should be considered for the tests. The Specialists Committee is of the opinion that the influence of rail joints does not require a special investigation. As a matter of fact, these rail joints can often be eliminated on concrete bridges and nearly always on steel bridges. Moreover, it can be assumed that the impacts caused by the rail joints do not exceed those produced by the wheel flats. Railway Administrations, carrying out bridge tests on their lines outside the scope of the ORE-programme, are also recommended to carry out measurements of dynamic strains whenever possible in accordance with the present directives, and to submit the results to the ORE-Bureau.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1959-3
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Bridge construction; Bridge design; Bridges; Concrete bridges; Construction; Dynamic tests; Metal bridges; Rail joints; Steel bridges; Stresses; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Bridge stresses; Cooper ratings; Question d23
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052831
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D23/RP 2/E Intrm. Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM