QUALITY OF RAILS AND MEANS OF GUARANTEEING IT. DEFINITION TESTS AND SPECIAL TESTS ON THOMAS STEEL RAILS HAVING PROVED SATISFACTORY IN THE TRACK, AND THOSE HAVING SHOWN A POOR PERFORMANCE (THIRD SERIES OF TESTS) TEXT, APPENDICES, TABLES AND FIGURES
The investigation of the quality of rail steels and the means of guaranteeing it has been entrusted to the D 45 Specialists Committee at the request of the 7th UIC Commission. Two series of tests were made within the scope of this work. The first series concerned the testing of newly-rolled rails and the second the relationship between the performance of rails during tests and that in the track. An account of these tests is given in Interim Report Nos. 1, 2 and 5. The results published in these Interim Reports were very interesting and it therefore appeared advisable to the D 45 Committee to extend these tests by investigations of rails having proved satisfactory in the track and those having shown a poor performance. Performance was defined by taking into account suitable criteria. Approval of the Control Committee to make these tests was obtained, and the results are given in this Interim Report No. 9, for the rails manufactured by the Thomas process.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Alloy steel; Rail (Railroads); Rail steel; Specifications; Structural tests; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Question d45; Rail metallurgy; Rail specifications; Rail steel metallurgy; Rail technology; Rail tests
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052827
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D45/RP 9/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM