EVALUATION OF THE FUELXPANDER
The FuelXpander is a retrofit device, marketed by FuelXpanders, Ltd. of Glen Falls, N.Y. It is designed to pre-heat the gasoline before it reaches the carburetor. The manufacturer claims the device improves fuel economy, safety and performance. The basic question asked was whether "with a FuelXpander installed on an engine, will the fuel economy, on the average under different outside temperatures, increase, stay the same, or decrease." It was in response to this request, that the TAEB agreed to test the FuelXpander. The conclusions drawn from the EPA evaluation tests are necessarily of limited applicability. A complete evaluation of the effectiveness of an emission control system in achieving performance improvements on the many different types of vehicles that are in actual use requires a much larger sample to test vehicles than is economically feasible in the evaluation test projects conducted by EPA. For promising systems it is necessary that more extensive test programs be carried out.
Environmental Protection AgencyTechnology Assessment and Evaluation Branch
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- BARTH, E A
- Kranig, J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Automobiles; Carburetors; Equipment; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Fuel systems; Gasoline; Heating; Improvements; Measures of effectiveness; Retrofitting; Technology assessment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00313496
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-AA-TAEB-80-2 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM