AN AVERAGING BATTERY MODEL FOR A LEAD-ACID BATTERY OPERATING IN AN ELECTRIC CAR
A battery model is developed based on time averaging the current or power, and is shown to be an effective means of predicting the performance of a lead acid battery. The effectiveness of this battery model was tested on battery discharge profiles expected during the operation of an electric vehicle following the various SAE J227a driving schedules. The averaging model predicts the performance of a battery that is periodically charged (regenerated) if the regeneration energy is assumed to be converted to retrievable electrochemical energy on a one-to-one basis.
Department of the NavyThe Pentagon
Washington, DC United States 20350
- Bozek, J M
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Acids; Electric automobiles; Electric batteries; Electric discharge; Electric vehicles; Energy conversion; Forecasting; Lead (Metal); Lead acid batteries; Mathematical models; Performance; Regenerators; Thermal efficiency
- Uncontrolled Terms: Energy efficiency; Performance prediction; Regeneration
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00313402
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TM-79321 Final Rpt., DOE/NASA/1044-79/5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM