BOSTON AUTO RESTRICTED ZONE DEMONSTRATION EVALUATION PLAN
The Boston Auto Restricted Zone Demonstration Project, to be implemented in September 1978, represents an attempt to rationalize auto, transit and pedestrian circulation patterns in the central business district of a major U.S. city. The demonstration includes such elements as the restriction of autos from certain streets, major re-routing of traffic, improved bus service into the area, improved sidewalk facilities, additional goods movement and loading areas, and a relocation of taxi stands. The demonstration site is located in the Boston central business district, in which roughly 120,000 people are employed and in which roughly 25% of the city's retail trade is conducted. There are a number of objectives associated with the Boston ARZ project, which includes increased retail sales, increased transit ridership, increased transit productivity, increased pedestrian activity, and improved environmental quality.
Cambridge Systematics, Incorporated100 Cambridge Park Drive, Suite 400
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Loudon, W R
- PECKNOLD, W M
- Kern, C R
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 419 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Bus transit; Buses; Central business districts; City planning; Demonstration projects; Economic impacts; Environmental impacts; Evaluation; Freight traffic; Pedestrian areas; Pedestrians; Public transit; Retail trade; Ridership; Shopping centers; Streets; Taxicabs; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic restraint; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: Massachusetts
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Central city
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00313209
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-79-4Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1981 12:00AM