AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURING ASSESSMENT SYSTEM. VOLUME IV: ENGINE MANUFACTURING ANALYSIS
Volume IV represents the results of one of four major study areas under the Automotive Manufacturing Assessment System (AMAS) sponsored by the DOT/Transportation Systems Center. AMAS was designed to assist in the evaluation of industry's capability to produce fuel efficient vehicles. An analysis of automotive engine manufacturing was conducted in order to determine the impact of regulatory changes on tooling costs and the production process. The 351W CID V-8 engine at Ford's Windsor No. 1 Plant was the subject of the analysis. A review of plant history and its product is presented along with an analysis of manufacturing operations, including material and production flow, plant layout, machining and assembly processes, tooling, supporting facilities, inspection, service and repair. Four levels of product change intensity showing the impact on manufacturing methods and cost is also presented.
- See also Volume 3, PB80-145659. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E19, PB80-145626.
Corporate-Tech Planning, Incorporated275 Wyman Street
Waltham, MA United States 02154
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Taylor, T J
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 133 p.
- TRT Terms: Assemblies (Equipment); Assembly lines; Autoclave curing; Automobiles; Cost engineering; Cost estimating; Costs; Engines; Estimates; Fuel consumption; Industrial plants; Inspection; Internal combustion engines; Inventory control; Layout; Machining; Maintenance; Manufacturing; Materials management; Motor vehicles; Product development; Production; Production control; Tools; Trucks; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Plant layout
- Old TRIS Terms: Assembling; Autoclaving; Automobile engines; Automotive engines; Product engineering; Tooling
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00313202
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-463 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1383
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM