APPLICATION OF THYRISTORS IN RAILWAY TECHNOLOGY: CONSEQUENCES AND REMEDIES. EFFECTS CAUSED BY 16 2/3 THYRISTOR CONTROLLED MOTIVE POWER UNITS ON 100 HZ TRACK-CIRCUITS WITH MOTOR-TYPE RELAYS
This report describes the investigations carried out concerning the effects caused by 16 2/3 thyristor controlled motive power units on track-circuits with 100 Hz motor-type relays. The disturbances observed on the motor-type relays have been mainly attributed to the influence of the 6th harmonic of the traction current. However, the investigations have shown that the motor-type relays are above all influenced by the fundamental wave of the high traction currents. Only in certain special cases can the 6th harmonic reach such a value where its influence produces not only an operational disturbance but also an operational danger. The nature and extent of the possible disturbances are described, and also the measures for remedying these.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Communications; Electric locomotives; Electromagnetic interference; Signaling; Thyristors; Track circuits
- Old TRIS Terms: Question a122
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052815
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A122/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM