AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURING ASSESSMENT SYSTEM. VOLUME III: MATERIALS -WEIGHT ANALYSIS
Volume III is part of a four volume set documenting areas of research resulting from the development of the Automotive Manufacturing Assessment System (AMAS) for the DOT/Transportation Systems Center. AMAS was designed to assist in the evaluation of industry capability to produce fuel efficient vehicles. Through extensive research and synthesis of publicly available information, detailed abstracts and summaries were generated to describe material applications to automotive vehicles and components with emphasis on technological advances and weight reduction potential for each domestic auto manufacturer, material, and component area. Investigation focuses on analyzing factors affected by fuel economy efforts: current and innovative materials and their component applications; auto manufacturers' and suppliers' development programs; tooling/manufacturing processes; weight savings and fuel economy benefits; and costs involved. Weight reduction progress in the 1977 and 1978 model years is highlighted but announced future plans for each manufacturer are also presented.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-145642 and Volume 4, PB80-145667. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E19, PB80-145626.
Corporate-Tech Planning, Incorporated275 Wyman Street
Waltham, MA USA 02154
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Taylor, T J
- Deans, C M
- Isaccs, M C
- Cunningham, A R
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 400 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Automobiles; Benefit cost analysis; Building materials; Components; Cost engineering; Cost estimating; Development; Estimates; Evaluation; Fuel consumption; Industrial engineering; Industries; Manufacturing; Marketing; Materials; Motor vehicles; Product development; Production; Production control; Research; Specifications; Technological innovations; Tools; Trucks; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials specifications; Weight control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Materials; Motor Carriers; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00313201
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-462 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1383
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM