TRANSIT NETWORK ANALYSIS: INET
This report is a collection of five independently developed documents concerning the transit system analysis program INET (Integrated Transit Network). The five documents are titled: INET Tutorial, a technical introduction to INET functions and mechanics; INET Lecture Guide, a set of over 50 graphics suitable for overhead projection, along with an explanatory text for each; INET Coding Hints, some guidance on preparation of INET input from actual transit plans or operations; INET Case Study, a small, complete example of the use of INET with the Alexandria, Virginia, bus system; and INET Operating Instructions, the instructions for operation of the INET computer program. INET, a new computer program which is an integral part of UTPS (Urban Transportation Planning System), has been developed to aid planners in the analysis of urban transit systems. INET makes transit network coding quick and easy by exploiting data already available for highway networks. It maintains consistency between transit and highway levels of service, and it helps bridge the gap between transit planning and operations. Experience with actual highway and transit data has shown that INET performs with speed and accuracy even better than expected. INET is a substantial improvement over previous transit network programs and greatly facilitates transit systems analysis.
Rutherford (GS) and Associates2908 Cortland Place, NW
Washington, DC United States 20008
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Dial, R B
- Rutherford, G S
- Quillian, L
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 360 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Case studies; Computer programming; Computer programs; Highway transportation; Level of service; Mathematical models; Network analysis (Planning); Public transit; Systems analysis; Transportation; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Network flows; Transportation models
- Geographic Terms: Virginia
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00313141
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-UPM-20-79-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OST-78-048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1982 12:00AM