IDENTIFICATION OF TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PROBLEMS IN WORK ZONES
The report presents a prioritized listing of twenty problem statements relating to traffic safety in construction, maintenance and utility work zones. These problem statements were developed from (1) data collected during 103 site visits, (2) an analysis of 30 construction zones before and during accident case studies, (3) a literature review, and (4) personal experiences of an interdisciplinary, six-person professional staff. Results indicate that approximately two-thirds of the work zone safety problems could be ameliorated if current standards and/or knowledge were properly applied. Results also include data relative to traffic control device use, traffic operation, and accident location in work zones.
University of Tennessee, KnoxvilleDepartment of Civil Engineering
Knoxville, TN United States 37996-2010
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Humphreys, J B
- Mauldin, H D
- Sullivan, T D
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 147 p.
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Construction; Field tests; Highway traffic control; Highway transportation; Maintenance practices; Reviews; Standards; Surveying; Surveying; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Work zone traffic control
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00313131
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-79- 4 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9368
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM