TRI-LEVEL STUDY: MODIFICATION TASK 2: FINAL REPORT ON DRIVER/VEHICLE CHARACTERISTICS RELATED TO VEHICLE CONDITION AND CAUSATION AND AN ASSESSMENT OF INDIANA PMVI EFFECTIVENESS TO REDUCE THE FREQUENCY AND SEVERITY OF ACCIDENT CAUSES BY VEHICULAR-RELATED MALFUNCTIONS/DEGRADATIONS
Results of this study indicate that vehicle condition was significantly related to driver age, education, marital status, occupation, family income, driver education, and vehicle age and manufacture. The likelihood of vehicular causal involvement in accidents was related to driver age, vehicle age and vehicle body style. Concerning PMVI effectiveness, 51.7% of the components which were judged to be causally implicated in accidents were either not manditorily inspected through Indiana PMVI or if inspected were later judged to be in a failing condition at the time of state inspection. Of all components checked which were defective at the time of the accident, 28.9% were judged to be defective at the time of the state inspection.
- See also report on Task 1, PB80-135460.
Indiana University, BloomingtonInstitute for Research in Public Safety
Bloomington, IN United States 47401
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McDonald, S T
- Romberg, R A
- Publication Date: 1977-6-30
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Crash causes; Crash investigation; Crash rates; Crash severity; Deterioration; Driver training; Drivers; Failure; Inspection; Maintenance; Motor vehicles; Persons by socioeconomic levels; Prevention; Safety; Service life; Socioeconomic factors; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver age; Motor vehicle accidents; Vehicle age
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00313110
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-034-3-535-T-2Final Rpt., DOT-HS-805-095
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-034-3-535
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM