ANALYSIS FOR NEED FOR PASSENGER SAFETY BELT REQUIREMENTS IN INTERCITY BUSES. VOLUME I: TEXT AND BIBLIOGRAPHY
An analysis was performed to determine the need for passenger safety belt requirements in intercity buses. The analysis included an accident file review of all in-depth investigation reports involving intercity buses for the years 1972-1976 available from the BMCS and the NTSB; a review of all available literature, supplemented by interviews with industry representatives; an assessment of passenger injuries, reduction of injuries through the use of safety belts, seat performance, and bus construction; and a cost/benefit analysis comparing the cost to install safety belts to the benefits, in reduced injuries, received. It was found that none of the safety belt options considered demonstrated a favorable benefit/cost ratio at the anticipated voluntary passenger use rates of safety belts. Thus, requirements for passenger safety belts in intercity buses, as considered in this research project, are not recommended.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-135395, HS-029 264U.
Indiana University, BloomingtonInstitute for Research in Public Safety
Bloomington, IN United States 47401
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Stansifer, R L
- Romberg, R A
- Day, R L
- Drahos, R W
- Publication Date: 1977-9-30
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 121 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Bibliographies; Bus transportation; Buses; Crash reports; Data analysis; Highway transportation; Injuries; Intercity bus lines; Manual safety belts; Mathematical analysis; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Reviews; Seats; Traffic crashes; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00313107
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., HS-029 263U
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9180
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1984 12:00AM