IN-SERVICE PERFORMANCE AND COSTS OF METHODS TO CONTROL URBAN RAIL SYSTEM NOISE. SECOND TEST SERIES REPORT
The goal of the project is to provide sufficient information to allow a transit system with given track and car conditions and budgetary constraints to determine the mix of available noise control methods which will result in the greatest overall benefit. Included in this benefit evaluation is the reduction of noise radiated to adjacent communities and the reduction of patron noise exposure. This project is designed to provide information on both the long-term and short-term costs and effectiveness of various wheel/rail noise abatement procedures if implemented on typical urban rail systems in the United States. This interim report presents the results of the final four phases of a seven-phase test program to determine the acoustic and economic effectiveness of resilient wheels, damped wheels, wheel truing, and rail grinding for reducing wheel/rail noise on urban rail transit systems.
- See also PB-288 838, and PB-257 200. Prepared in cooperation with Wilson, Ihrig and Associates, Inc., Oakland, CA.
De Leuw, Cather and Company1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Saurenman, H J
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 202 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Car wheels (Railroads); Communities; Corrugated rail; Cost effectiveness; Damping (Physics); Field tests; Noise; Noise control; Performance evaluations; Railroad tracks; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Rapid transit; Resilience (Materials); Sound level; Urban transportation; Vibration; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Rapid transit railways; Vibration levels; Wheel grinding; Wheel screech noise; Wheel truing
- Subject Areas: Environment; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00313099
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-33 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1053
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1981 12:00AM