INNOVATIVE MECHANICAL SYSTEMS FOR THE HOBOKEN TRANSPORTATION CENTER
In the summer of 1977, the Hoboken Community Development Agency requested the Center for Municipal Studies and Services of the Stevens Institute of Technology to study the use of appropriate and innovative mechanical system concepts for the Erie - Lackawanna Railroad and Ferry Terminal Building. This report conveys the findings of the study, which specifically pertains to recommendations for the construction of a heating - ventilation - air - conditioning system. The introduction summarizes the findings of a 1975 engineering survey of the terminal performed by a firm of architects and planners. That study examined foundations, structural supports, roof, and copper cladding, and assessed the condition of each. The historical background of the building, and existing conditions and environment are then discussed. It is noted that only limited improvement in the thermal performance of the building envelope is possible without disrupting either the (historic) exterior or the interior appearance of the building. Such disruption would not be acceptable, since the building, built in 1905, has been named to the Register of National Historic Sites. A description and analysis of the proposed transportation center is presented, and alternative mechanical systems for space heating and cooling are discussed. Based on study evaluations, it is recommended that building and site - use planning and evaluation should proceed on the basis of cost estimates for energy and utilities appropriate for conventional heating and cooling systems, water - supply and waste - disposal systems, and other mechanical systems. The findings do not justify the use of innovative systems. Tabular and graphic data are provided in the appendices. References are also included.
Stevens Institute of TechnologyCenter for Municipal Studies and Services
Hoboken, NJ United States 07030
Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentAssistant Secretary for Policy Development & Research
Washington, DC United States 20410
- Cole, R B
- Jurkat, M P
- Kamm, I O
- Konen, T P
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Commuter service; History; Intermodal facilities; Passenger terminals; Urban development
- Identifier Terms: Erie Lackawanna Railway
- Geographic Terms: New Jersey
- Subject Areas: History; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00313008
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HUD-0000509 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: HUD-H-2196R
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM