CHARACTERIZATION OF GASEOUS AND PARTICULATE EMISSIONS FROM LIGHT DUTY DIESELS OPERATED ON VARIOUS FUELS
Gaseous and particulate emissions of a non-routine nature were measured in the exhausts of two light-duty Diesel-powered automobiles. These vehicles were a Mercedes 240D and a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel. Visible exhaust smoke, regulated gaseous pollutants, and exhaust odor were also measured. Five fuels were used in tis investigation, representing broad ranges in sulfur content, hydrocarbon-type composition, density, centane index, and a number of other properties. Vehicle operating procedures used for test purposes included both those specified in Federal Regulations and several others simulating different driving situations. Gas samples were acquired from both direct and dilute exhaust streams. Particulate samples were taken using an exhaust dilution tunnel operating on the entire exhaust stream of each engine. Filter-collected particulate weights provided the basis for particulate mass emission calculations. The results of a statistical analysis of the particulate emissions data is included as in an analysis of gaseous emissions and particulate size data.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX USA 78228-0510
Environmental Protection Agency2565 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48105
- HARE, C T
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 342 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Automobiles; Carbon monoxide; Computer programs; Concentration (Chemistry); Contaminants; Diesel engines; Exhaust gases; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; Grain size (Geology); Hydrocarbons; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Odors; Particulates; Probes (Measuring devices); Regulations; Sampling; Sulfur; Tables (Data)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Federal programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Probes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00312859
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/460/3-79/008 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-2440
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM