CHARACTERIZATION OF SULFATES, ODOR, SMOKE, POM AND PARTICULATES FROM LIGHT AND HEAVY DUTY ENGINES - PART IX
This report expands EPA's data base on regulated and unregulated emissions from Diesel powered cars and trucks. To the extent possible, comparisons were made to similar vehicles powered by gasoline fueled engines. Emissions, fuel economy and general performance of a pair of gasoline- and Diesel-powered Volkswagen Rabbit and Oldsmobile Cutlass cars are discussed. Characterization of heavy-duty engines included a Mack ETAY(B)673A and a Caterpillar 3208, both Diesels, and a Chevrolet 366 gasoline fueled engine. A pair of Daimler-Benz Diesels, one turbocharged and the other not, were used to evaluate the effect of turbocharging. A high pressure injection system was tried with the Mack engine and compared to the standard system. A Caterpillar 3406 Diesel was used to investigate the effect of injection timing, combustion system and exhaust gas recirculation on exhaust particulate and other emissions.
Southwest Research Institute6220 Culebra Road, P.O. Drawer 28510
San Antonio, TX United States 78228-0510
Environmental Protection AgencyEmission Control Technology Division, 2565 Plymounth Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- SPRINGER, K J
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Pagination: 533 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Aldehydes; Alternatives analysis; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Diesel engines; Environmental protection; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Fuels; Gasoline engines; Hydrocarbons; Metals; Motor vehicles; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Odors; Particles; Particulates; Smoke; Sulfates; Turbochargers; Vehicle performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Particle size distribution
- Old TRIS Terms: Turbocharging
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00312855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/460/3-79/007 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-2417
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM