NAVIGATION USER CHARGES: IMPACT ON THE TRANSPORTATION OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
The inland waterways of the United States historically have been maintained and improved by the federal government at no cost to waterway users. However, in 1978, legislation was enacted that imposed a fuel tax on commercial waterway traffic. The debate over this legislation raised concerns that such charges could reduce significantly the freight tonnage carried on the inland waterway system and could affect adversely major industries dependent upon waterway transportation. The study assesses the likely impact of such a charge on the movement of grains and the location of the broiler chicken industry. The results of the analysis suggest that a uniform charge administered as a fuel tax on all waterways would have a small impact on grain movements by barge if full federal operation and maintenance costs are recovered.
- Prepared in cooperation with Purdue Univ., Lafayette, IN. Dept. of Agricultural Economics.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, BlacksburgDepartment of Agronomy
Blacksburg, VA United States 24061
Office of Water Research and TechnologyC Street between 18th and 19th Streets, NW
Washington, DC United States 20242
- SHABMAN, L
- Havlicek, M
- Binkley, J
- Luppold, W
- Stillman, R
- Publication Date: 1979-10
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Agricultural products; Barges; Birds; Commercial transportation; Corn; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Economics; Expenses; Exports; Farm produce; Fees; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Grain; Inland water transportation; Inland waterways; Legislation; Mathematical models; Physical distribution; Ports; Soybeans; Taxes; Transportation; User charges; Water transportation; Waterways; Wheat
- Uncontrolled Terms: Distribution systems; Grain trade; Poultry; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Agricultural exports; Cargo movement; Cargo transportation; Inland waterways economics; Inland waterways transportation; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00312790
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VPI-VWRRC-BULL-121, OWRT-B-082-VA(4)
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM