PRACTICAL IDEAS FOR GOVERNMENTS FACING PLANNING AND SCHEDULING PROBLEMS
One of 5 booklets summarizing 18 HUD - sponsored capacity - building and sharing projects, this report describes practical ideas for local governments facing planning and scheduling problems. The ideas are workable and have been used for a sufficient period of time to determine results. They include an energy conservation program developed by the South Georgia Consortium without the use of an outside consultant and a centralized purchasing system entailing format purchase requisitions, purchase orders, a bid policy and procedure, a standardized filing system, inventory control, standardized specifications for those items used by several departments, and a recommended price list for common purchases. The Consortium also developed a system for improving personnel management without adding a separate department. Rhode Island's local governments created performance measures and a cost allocation method for local needs. This method can help select performance targets, and choose level of effort to build a data collection system for helping with resource allocation and other management decisionmaking. Wichita, Kan., has formulated a system for budgeting and managing community development funds, including block grant funds, and has documented its experience in a ''how to do it'' handbook. Finally, Salem, Oreg., has established a centralized permit and licensing facility that uses standardized forms for accounting (freeing 2.5 clerks for other duties and making it possible for Oregon residents to obtain a license in 2 to 3 days), and Anaheim, Calif., has come up with a method for planning and scheduling large street and road projects while avoiding the costs of purchasing a computer and retaining a permanent staff. General information on the key elements and implementation of these ideas are provided as well as some cost data. Ordering information for project booklets is included.
Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentAssistant Secretary for Policy Development & Research
Washington, DC United States 20410
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Accounting; Administration; Budgeting; City planning; Costs; Data collection; Energy conservation; Finance; Licenses; Local government; Personnel management; Planning; Problem solving; Purchasing; Roads; Scheduling; Streets; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00312682
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HUD-0000782, Summary Report
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 2002 12:00AM