SPECIAL TECHNICAL REPORTS. PROBLEMS RAISED BY THE APPLICATION OF THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER TO LOCOMOTIVES
This report contains information provided by some ORE Member-Administrations about the problems raised by the application of the automatic coupler to locomotives and the solutions envisaged, particularly as regards the modification of locomotives which will continue to be used after the automatic coupler has been to fitted wagons in international service. It deals in particular with: the characteristics to be adopted for the elastic element and its technical features; the possibility of using a short arm and the problems which this will pose for the suspension and in curve negotiation; the methods adopted for making the underframe suitable for taking the automatic coupler; problems connected with heating (steam and electric); the mixed coupler.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-10
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Locomotives; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Automatic coupling; Locomotive design; Question s1001
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052799
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: S1001/RP 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM