SYNTHETIC INSULATING MATERIALS ON OVERHEAD EQUIPMENT. SITE TESTS ON SPECIMENS OR INSULATORS MADE OF SYNTHETIC INSULATING MATERIALS
The following tests were made: Laboratory tests- 1. Included plane method according to American Standard ASTM D 2 303. This method is designed to indicate the resistance of insulators to tracking under a flow of electrolyte. 2. Dry arc-resistance method. This method is specified in the American Standard ASTM D 495. It involves a dry test on an unpolluted surface. Line Tests In Italy on 3,000 V d.c. lines in coastal areas; In England on 25 kV 50 Hz lines in an area where there is moderate industrial pollution as well as urban and railway contamination. On the basis of the laboratory and line tests, the following partial conclusions may be drawn: Fairly simple and perfectly reproducible laboratory test methods make it possible to choose materials offering sufficient resistance to tracking and to rapidly eliminate materials which are patently unsuitable. It would seem that as regards the category of homogeneous resins with fillers, the specimens made of cycloalipatic type resins with hydrated alumina filler might give good results. Tests on these materials are in progress at the moment. Regarding composition materials, insulators consisting of a fibreglass and resin core with a polytetrafluorethylene sheathing have so far given the most favourable results.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Catenaries (Railroads); Electric insulating materials; Electrical equipment; Electrical grounding; Insulating materials; Synthetics; Test facilities; Tests
- Identifier Terms: British Rail; Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Double insulation; Question e54
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00052788
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: E54/RP 3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM