COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE OF TYPE II AND PREMIUM TRUCKS
This paper presents a description and data analysis of the comparative curving performance and high speed tracking ability of radial self-steering (Type II) and premium trucks. The trucks included the Barber-Scheffel, the DR-1 Radial, Devine-Scales, Swing Motion, Ride Control and the conventional Barber S-2 truck. The effect of C-PEP and Stucki Constant Contact Side Bearings to increase lateral stability of vehicles and their effect on curving of a vehicle was also investigated. The trucks were evaluated with preselected worn tread profile wheels. In addition, the effect of the AAR conical profile on curving and lateral stability of the conventional Barber S-2 truck was investigated.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers for presentation at the Joint Railroad Conference, April 9-10, 1980, Montreal, Canada.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Ghonem, H
- Gonsalves, R
- BARTLEY, G W
- Publication Date: 1980-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Data collection; Field tests; Flanges; Force; Hunting (Dynamics); Instrumentation; Lasers; Rail (Railroads); Ride quality; Steering; Strain gages; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Radial trucks; Swing motion trucks; Type ii trucks; Wheel flange forces; Wheel tread design
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00312395
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 80-RT-8 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM