Mobile Metropolises: Urban Transport Matters, An IEG Evaluation of the World Bank Group’s Support for Urban Transport
The Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) developed a theory of change and evaluation questions focusing on how the activities and inputs of the World Bank Group contributed to government and private sector activities that could produce developmentally significant urban transport outcomes and impacts. A review of World Bank Group strategies and literature yielded three focus themes: (1) mobility for all (including the poor, women, and disabled persons); (2) sustainable urban transport service delivery (from the financial and environmental perspectives); and (3) urban transport institutional development. The evaluation assesses the World Bank Group’s effectiveness in supporting the countries’ efforts to achieve these three intermediate outcomes, which directly relates to the likelihood of advancing the World Bank’s twin goals by 2030. This IEG evaluation includes a portfolio review, a review of internal and external literature, five mission-based and six desk-based country case studies, nine Project Performance Assessment Reports, two partnership reviews, and dozens of interviews with World Bank Group staff, counterparts and clients, beneficiaries, other stakeholders, and relevant sector experts. Finally, the evaluation pioneered the application of two distinct “lenses” focusing on behavioral change and service delivery. Given limited evidence on results, a challenge was to augment available data with analysis of the patterns and content of the portfolio and the other sources of evidence described above.
- Record URL:
- © 2017 International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / The World Bank.
World BankWashington, DC United States
- Publication Date: 2017
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Bibliography; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 231p
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Countries; Evaluation and assessment; Financing; Literature reviews; Mobility; Stakeholders; Sustainable development; Sustainable transportation; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: World Bank
- Subject Areas: Finance; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 01667706
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 12 2018 5:09PM