MICHIGAN SMALL BUS PROGRAM MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK
The State of Michigan has successfully provided small bus public transportation in small and medium-sized cities as well as in entire counties. The program has three components: interim elderly and handicapped program, transportation services consolidation program, and the general public transportation program including the small bus county incentive program and the urban and rural small bus program. This handbook which is intended to be a practical guide for system managers focuses on personnel relations, operations, management, marketing and funding. Procedures for getting through the State's grant and contract process are also included. The various chapters are as follow: Project Management (small bus start-up process, transition process: demonstration to ongoing); Operations (administrative and operating alternatives, operating procedures and forms); Contracts (state-local first party contracts, operating contracts (third party contract), stte contract development procedure); financial management (accounting guidelines, charts of accounts, accounting process); Purchasing Equipment (selecting equipment, bus specifications, lift specifications, transit radio systems); Equipment Management (preventive maintenance, state accident reporting requirements); Marketing (goals and objectives, advertising, public relations, system information program, community and employee relations, evaluation, start-up activities); Personnel Management (job descriptions, driver training/retraining, personnel selection, policies and procedures); and Monitoring & Evaluation (standards of performance, surveys, use of results).
Michigan Department of TransportationBureau of Urban and Public Transportation, P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI United States 48909
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 193 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus drivers; Bus transportation; Driver training; Incentives; Marketing; Medium sized cities; Minibuses; Personnel management; Persons with disabilities; Small cities; Transportation operations; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00312269
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-1-80-2
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1981 12:00AM