OILS FOR INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES
After having established the close correlation between the behaviour in service of oils and of motors, and the results given by certain tests on the bench, the Committee was in a position to recommend the following procedure a) concerning the homologation and the control of oils at the moment of acceptance- to insist upon the supplier's guarantee, to adopt a policy of purchasing oil in large quantities, to recommend tests with the oils on the Petter AV 1 motor, to examine the behaviour of the oils and motors in service. b) concerning the periodical testing of the oils in service, b-1) in the motive power or maintenance depot: inspection of the oil filters, b-2) in laboratories: determination of viscosity, fuel oil dilution, water content, insoluble matter, and the residual value of the "dopes". The tests, test methods to be employed, as well as the renewal criteria, were also determined.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1958-3
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Lubricants; Lubricating oils; Lubrication
- Old TRIS Terms: Question e18
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052776
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: E18c/RP 1/E Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM