FURTHER SURVEY OF IN-SERVICE PERFORMANCE OF STRUCTURAL DETAILS
This project is an adjunct to the Ship' Structure Committee report SSC-272. Using the same survey techniques and data analysis procedures described in that report, the midship/cargo areas of an additional twelve bulk carriers, twelve containerships, and twelve general cargo ships were surveyed under Project SR-1258. The goal of both projects is to provide design and repair personnel with structural service data and recommendations that can be used to significantly decrease the number of detail failures that occur on ships of all types. The data from both surveys are combined and summarized for ready use by design and repair offices. Structural detail failure data were collected for twelve detail families (beam brackets, tripping brackets, non-tight collars, tight collars, gunwale connections, knife edge crossings, miscellaneous cutouts, clearance cuts, deck cutouts, stanchion ends, stiffener ends, and panel stiffeners) to provide guidance in the selection of structural detail configurations. Plots of percent failures versus ship type allow an engineer/designer to establish failure trends for a specific ship type. A total of 607,584 details were observed with a total of 6,856 failures. Failures were attributed to either one or a combination of five categories - design, fabrication, welding, maintenance and operation.
Newport News Shipbuilding4101 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA United States 23607
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Jordan, C R
- Knight, L T
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 187 p.
- TRT Terms: Brackets; Defects; Design; Failure; Failure analysis; Structural engineering; Structural mechanics; Structural parts; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural failures; Weld defects
- Old TRIS Terms: Bracket design
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00312220
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-294 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-75172-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM