PROTECTION OF MATERIALS. REPORT ON THE ENQUIRY AND PROGRAMME OF WORK FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF TEST-METHODS FOR THE DETERMINATION OF THE DURABILITY OF PAINT COATINGS
The test procedures for the assessment of the quality of paints at present in use, specially as regards their service performance or durability, were not, it was thought, sufficiently speedy or accurate, and an enquiry was undertaken to ascertain the views of all Administrations. The results of this enquiry are appended and lead to the conclusion that there is an urgent need to develop test procedures which could give rapid and accurate assessment. The purpose of the Programme of Work proposed is to study methods of determining paint properties which have a bearing on durability with the view to the development of a procedure which will yield results more rapidly. The provision of improved test procedures for the quality assessment of a paint will enable the selection to be made of the best available paint for a given purpose which will lead to economy in maintenance of rolling stock and structures.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1965-2
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Corrosion protection; Materials and structures protection; Paint; Painting; Questionnaires; Service life; Testing; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials protection; Question e17a; Test programs
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052766
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: E17a/RP 25/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM