PROTECTION OF MATERIALS. APPLIED PROCEDURES AND MACHINES USED FOR THE CLEANING OF PASSENGER COACHES
The importance of carrying out a regular external cleaning of the rolling stock so as to obtain an overall appearance of satisfactory quality for upholding the good name of the railways, the ever increasing difficulty of finding staff willing to accept this type of work, and the continuous increase of the ways, necessitates the use of as fully a mechanised equipment as possible. This equipment requires the investment of relatively large capital sums, which, in the majority of instances, are recoverable however after one year of operation at most. When the number of vehicles permits, a fixed type a washing installation is to be recommended. When the vehicles to be cleaned have a suitable profile, this installation should comprise rotating brushes however, flannel flails may be used for the cleaning of vehicles with varying profile. In other cases, a semi-mechanised washing site with travelling brush- trolleys permits the desired result being obtained. Finally, according to local conditions, mobile washing machines with rotating brushes or washing installations of the platform type may also give interesting results. However, the siting of mechanised washing installations in existing stations, and more particularly, that of fixed washing machines with rotating brushes, sometimes presents serious difficulties; it is then advisable to include the installation of these machines in the alteration and modification projects of large stations. Indeed, it is highly desirable that the Administrations should have available, as rapidly as possible, a sufficiently dense system of washing machines so that at least all main-line train sets might be cleaned at one end of their scheduled run.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1963-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Car shops (Railroads); Cleaning; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks
- Old TRIS Terms: Car cleaning facilities; Cleaning tracks; Question e17
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052758
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: E17/RP 16/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM