NOISE ABATEMENT. MEASURING PRINCIPLES FOR NOISE ABATEMENT IN THE FIELD OF RAILWAY TRANSPORTATION
This report is intended primarily for railway purposes and contains: general observations on the measurement of noise and vibrations; the units used and a definition of the reference quantities; the general measuring principles and the characteristics used for assessing noise-levels in decibels; a description of the measuring procedure and the characteristics of the equipment used: the method used for evaluating the results and the results themsleves: the particular arrangements with regard to: locomotives, shunting locomotives and light rail motor tractors (diesel or electric); railcars and permanently coupled trains (diesel or electric); special vehicles (tyred vehicles, air-cushion vehicles, turbine vehicles, cranes running on rails, etc.); the running of trains on bridges and in tunnels on non-conventional track and in underground stations. In order to obtain an accurate interpretation of the results, and to facilitate comparison and any trans-positions which might be necessary, it was agreed to adopt the international recommendations and standards in connection with the measuring equipment, the calculation methods and the test procedure. The references and designations of the chief standards are given in the report. The studies of the Committee have been limited to the definition of a noise and vibration measurement index permitting possible comparisons betwwen the different equipments. The interpretation of the results is principally based on the band analysis and the overall noise level in dB(A). The arrangements outlined in this document do not deal with the assessment criteria, nor do they define the permissible limits or treat the effects of noise on the individual.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic detectors; Bridges (Ships); Diesel locomotives; Electric locomotives; Equipment tests; Intelligent transportation systems; Measurement; Noise; Sound level; Sound level meters; Subways; Tunnels; Vibration tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise measurement; Subway noise
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Bridge noise; Noise detection equipment; Noise recording equipment; Question e82; Test equipment; Tunnel noise
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052749
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: E82/RP 4/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM