INTERNATIONAL LINER SHIPPING AND CANADIAN TRADE. A BACKGROUND STUDY OF SHIPPING CONFERENCES OPERATING IN CANADA
In March 1979 the Shipping Conferences Exemption Act, Canadian legislation under which conferences are given conditional exemption from prosecution under the Combines Investigation Act, will expire. Proposed replacement legislation is being placed before Parliament. The monoploy nature of shipping conferences, the traditional reticence of shipowners to provide details on their operations, and the fact that the member lines of conferences serving Canada are foreign companies, account in large part for a relative paucity of factual information on conferences in the Canadian trades. The present study is a consolidation of the contents of several working papers completed earlier by the Research Branch of the Canadian Transport Commission. These background papers were prepared at the request of the Commission's Water Transport Committee and of the Interdepartmental Liaison Committee on the Shipping Conferences Exemption Act. The report is divided into five sections: 1) Purpose and Background; 2) General Summary and Conclusions; 3) Characteristics of Canadian Ocean Liner Trade; 4) Shipping Conference Practices in Canada and; 5) Market Power of Shipping Conferences. Included is a selected bibliography, appendices and eleven tables.
Canadian Transport CommissionDirectorate of Transport Industries Analysis
Ottawa, ONo K1A 0N9, Canada
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 134 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Foreign; Freight traffic; International trade; Liner shipping; Policy; Shipping; Shipping conferences; Trade; Trade routes
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Old TRIS Terms: Conference operations; Conference rates; Foreign maritime policy; Shipping policies; Trade analysis; Traffic analysis (Freight)
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Materials; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00311603
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 20-79-02
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 9 1980 12:00AM