STRESSES IN THE RAILS, THE BALLAST AND IN THE FORMATION RESULTING FROM TRAFFIC LOADS. STRESSES IN CONCRETE SLEEPERS
The results of study of the mechanical characteristics of concrete cross ties are analyzed. Some experiments werein the laboratory and other were carried out in track. The prestressed concrete cross ties of SNCF, BR and DB, as well as conventional cross ties are appraised. Laboratory tests determined the modulus of elasticity of concrete and studied tie deformations under specific loads. Track tests indicated the extent to which the real stresses were dispersed. Experiments permit definition of statistical ranges convenient for evolving an empirical solution to defining cross tie dimensions and to determining acceptance conditions for ties examined at a manufacturer's works.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 77 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete; Concrete ties; Inspection; Railroad ties; Specifications; Structural design; Wood ties
- Old TRIS Terms: Cross tie design; Question d71; Wooden cross ties
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052734
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: D71/RP 9/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM