UNITED STATES PORT DEVELOPMENT, EXPENDITURE SURVEY
The Maritime Administration conducted this survey to compile and analyze capital expenditure data for marine terminal facilities in the principal ports of the United States from 1973-1978, including projections through 1983. By utilizing data from previous surveys since 1946, the end product of this effort is a 38-year picture of past and future capital committments on the part of the port industry in the United States to provide the terminal port facilities to serve ocean shippers. Consideration is also given to the methods by which these capital requirements are financed. All of the expenditure data contained in this survey were derived from information submitted by individual public ports. This survey reveals that approximately $5 billion has been invested in the construction and modernization of pier and wharf facilities in U.S. ports in the 33 years since the end of World War II. The rate of expenditures for these purposes has increased remarkably in the last six years. Between 1973-1978, U.S. ports expended approximately $1.6 billion to expand and improve marine terminal capacity. Plans indicate an estimated $3.4 billion will be spent by U.S. ports for cargo handling facilities from 1979-1983. Regionally, the North Atlantic group of ports lost their traditional dominance of total U.S. development expenditures. The Gulf, South Atlantic, and Great Lakes groups of ports displayed major relative increases in development expenditures during 1973-1978 over previous survey periods. There has been a general trend away from the traditional port dependence on general obligation bonds for developmental financing. Increases in revenue bonding, re-investment of port revenues and Federal aid have characterized public port financing during 1973-1978.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1980-1
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Capital investments; Cargo facilities; Data collection; Development; Economic analysis; Financing; Intermodal terminals; Marine terminals; Port operations; Port structures; Ports; Statistics; Surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Port finance
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Ports); Port statistics; Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00311351
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 26 1980 12:00AM