IDENTIFICATION OF WAGON NUMBERS. RECOMMENDATION FOR THE CHOICE OF A SYSTEM
Report No. 3 contains a survey of the studies carried out in this field. Two systems have been retained, namely, an optical system (SYLVANIA) and a microwave system (SIEMENS). These two systems have been simultaneoulsy submitted to numerous operating tests, the results of which are summarised. Both systems comply with the conditions set-out in UIC Leaflet 916-1-I, with a better insensitivity however in the case of the microwave system to the disturbances caused by snow and ice. The Committee has made an economic comparison of the two systems, which shows a lower annual cost for the microwave system. Taking into account the different advantages mentioned in the course of the report, the Committee unequivocally recommends the choice of the SICARID system using the microwave technique.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1972-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Benefit cost analysis; Decision making; Reliability
- Old TRIS Terms: Question a97
- Subject Areas: Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052721
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A97/RP 3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM