DATA TRANSMISSION BY MEANS OF RAILWAY TELEPHONE CIRCUITS AT SPEEDS EXCEEDING 600 BAUDS. FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS CONCERNING THE CHARACTERISTICS OF RAILWAY CIRCUITS FORMING PART OF A DATA TRANSMISSION SYSTEM AND DESCRIPTION OF THE BASIC CONDITIONS FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF SUCH A SYSTEM
This final report forms a very comprehensive document on the general problems of data transmission and the basic characteristics required of data transmission networks and their principal component parts. The interference chiefly encountered on railway systems and the means adopted for its abatement were the subjects of two previous reports, RP 7 and RP 8. This contains an analysis of the data flow, its priorities and the structure of the system. Certain basic conceptions of the transmission technology are stated again and the various possibilities of designing a transmission system for medium speed are considered. The report contains recommendations concerning circuits, selection of transmission speed, method of modulation, modems, safety procedures and also concerning methods of measurement and maintenance. All problems have been considered from the standpoint of transmission. Recommendations are given in the form of tables to the greatest extent possible. For economic reasons, the recommendations of the CCITT concerning modulation rates and circuits have been adopted as far as possible. These recommendations have, however, been supplemented by data gained from experience. These were gathered by the Committee from previous investigations of railway circuits or, as regards data transmission equipment, from tests conducted in well-defined conditions at the "Installation for testing data transmission equipment", at the Federal Research and Test Institute in Vienna Arsenal. This installation is available to the administrations to enable them to test whether the equipment they intend to use meets the requirements expected to arise from the type of operation for which it is to be provided.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1970-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 229 p.
- TRT Terms: Communications; Computer programming; Data communications; Information processing; Information systems; Modems
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria)
- Old TRIS Terms: Data modems; Question a76
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052708
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A76/RP 9/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM