THERMAL BARRIER SYSTEM FOR LIQUEFIED GAS TANK
Heat barrier components and improved thermal insulation techniques are provided for an external tank insulation system of ships carrying liquefied natural gas, propane, ammonia, etc. Reduction of liquid boil-off rate or initial cost of insulation through the reduction of radiant heat leak is accomplished by a composite insulation system including a high reflectance component material on the external surface of insulation and/or interior surface of the ship facing the tank. Further, refrigeration in tank boil-off is used to cool a radiation shield located between the tank insulation and surrounding enclosure, and to cool the skit support.
- File date: 12 July 1977.
United States Patent Office2021 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA United States 22202
- Androulakis, J G
- Publication Date: 1979-2-20
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Boil off; Containing equipment; Cryogenic materials; Electric insulating materials; Heat insulating materials; Insulating materials; Insulation systems; Liquefied gases; Liquefied natural gas; Patents; Tankers; Tanks (Containers)
- Old TRIS Terms: Lng boil off; Lng containment systems; Lng tank insulation; Patents (Thermal insulation)
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00310859
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Report/Paper Numbers: US Patent 4,140,073
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM