ENERGY USE IN THE MARINE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY: TASK I, INDUSTRY SUMMARY. FINAL REPORT
Task I, Industry Summary, defines the current marine transportation industry in terms of population, activities, and energy use. It identifies the various operating or service sectors of the marine transportation industry and determines the numbers and types of vessels, their operating characteristics, and energy consumption. The analysis includes all powered water-borne craft, with the exception of those owned or operated by a government organization and fixed offshore production platforms. The energy consumption analysis of the marine transportation industry concludes with 4 major findings; the marine transportation industry consumes 2.934 quads annually; 15% of the energy consumed for transportation services, the foreign trade sector consumes 80% of the estimated marine transportation energy requirements; and a minimum of 28% of the energy required by the marine transportation industry is purchased in the US. In each additional chapter (foreign trade, Great Lakes, coastal shipping, offshore, inland waterways, fishing sectors, and recreational boats) the subjects are described in terms of population, operating profiles, energy consumption, typical or generic vessels, costs, and cargo movements.
Booz-Allen and Hamilton, Incorporated4330 East-West Highway
Bethesda, MD USA 20814
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Coastwise shipping; Demand; Energy; Energy conservation; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Inland water transportation; International trade; Operating costs; Shipping; Ships; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo movement; Coastal trade; Energy demand; Inland waterways transportation
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00310817
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAN-1175-T2(Vol.2) Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EY-76-C-03-1175
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM