ROAD AND RAIL NOISE: EFFECTS ON HOUSING
This report deals with new residential development which may be adversely affected by noise from roads and railways. Methods are suggested for determining the noise levels at a building or site where levels are too high, and reducing them to acceptable limits within the various parts of the building. Criteria for noise reduction measures which should be taken into consideration when preparing land use plans are presented. This report is presented in seven parts. The first part covers noise levels, traffic noise, acceptable levels of traffic noise, and the classification of areas adjacent to roads and railways. The second part (noise control) covers site selection, orientation of buildings, internal layout, primary agents of sound transmission and installation. Part 3 considers the main sources of noise, traffic counts, correction for road gradient, correction for interrupted traffic flow, determination of equivalent source height, and correction for distance and barriers. Part 4 which covers rail traffic noise considers traffic characteristics, the calculation of wheel/rail noise and correction for distance and barriers. Part 5 covers noise levels from a single source, combination of levels from multiple sources and gives an example of the latter. Sound insulation requirements are covered in Part 6 including the method of calculation, associated ventilation requirements and alternative procedures. Part 7 presents appendices which cover procedures for traffic sampling, barrier considerations, and examples of calculations.
Central Mortgage and Housing CorporationMontreal Road
Ottawa, ONo, Canada
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 107 p.
- TRT Terms: Building; Development; Electric insulating materials; Insulating materials; Land use planning; Location; Noise barriers; Noise control; Railroads; Residential areas; Residential location; Sound level; Traffic counting; Traffic noise
- Uncontrolled Terms: Residential development
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00310767
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1980 12:00AM