PROTECTION OF THE INSTALLATIONS AND ELECTRIC MOTIVE POWER UNITS AGAINST THE EFFECTS OF OVERVOLTAGES. SERVICE TESTS ON DIFFERENT TYPES OF ARRESTERS FOR 1500 AND 3000 V SUB- STATIONS, PARALLELING POINTS AND VEHICLES
This report gives the results of the tests carried out by the various Administration with a view to comparing the efficacy of various means of protecting sub-stations, paralleling points and vehicles. The criterion used for assessing the efficacy of the capacitor-type and non-linear resistor-type arresters was the number of times damage was sustained by the equipment being protected. In certain cases counters were installed to provide a numerical record of the discharges. The tests carried out by the SNCB, SNCF, FS, PKP and NS have shown, in particular, that sub-stations as well as motive power units need to be protected against over-voltages, whether the overhead contact system is protected or not. In deciding on the type of protection to be used allowance has to be made for the insulation level of the equipment to be protected. Effective protection can be obtained by either capacitor-type or non-linear resistor-type arresters or by a combination of the two. When simple capacitors are used, however, allowance must be made for the stresses caused by the harmonics or else a spark-gap should be connected to the capacitor.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric substations; Horsepower; Overvoltage; Railroad electrification
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato; Nederlandse Spoorwegen; Polskie Koleje Panstwowe; Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Belges; Societe nationale des chemins de fer francais
- Old TRIS Terms: Motive power; Overvoltage arresters; Question a50
- Subject Areas: Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052695
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A50/RP 11/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM