CONSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR IMPROVING THE RIDING STABILITY AND THE GUIDING QUALITY OF ELECTRIC AND DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES AND VEHICLES. MEASUREMENTS OF THE FORCES EXERTED ON THE RAILS BY VARIOUS TYPES OF MOTIVE POWER UINTS (MEASURED IN A CURVE OF 300M RADIUS AT GIORNICO)
In 1955 the CFF decided to intitiate investigations in order to determine by means of experiments the extent of the wear to which the track would be subjected in a curve of 300 m radius by the then newly developed locomtive types of the series Ac 4/4 (BoBo) and Ae 6/6 (CoCo). The measuring rail working according to the Schlumpf system was used as measuring apparatus. The results of these measurements have shown that the modern bogie locomotives subject the track to less wear at the same speed (BoBo) or to hardly any heavier wear (CoCo) than the rigid frame locomotives of not so recent date. Following the tests which had been made at the suggestion of the Working Group "Measurements on the track" of the B 10 Specialists Committee, for the comparison between three different measuring methods (see B 10 RP 4), arose the possibility of repeating the tests made in 1955. The measuring rail was again used as measuring apparatus, as it had been done for the tests made in 1957, but the tests included a larger number of locomotive types and a considerable versine error was intentionally arranged in the test track. The tests made in 1957 have confirmed the fundamental results of 1955, moreover they have shown that 1) a transverse coupling between the bogies and 2) the lateral movement of the rubber cushioned leading axles of the CoCo locomotives considerably reduce the forces exerted on the track.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1960-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Flanges; Force; Instrumentation; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Tests; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Question b10; Track response investigations; Wheel flange forces
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052683
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B10/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM