APPLICATION OF THYRISTORS IN RAILWAY TECHNOLOGY: CONSEQUENCES AND REMEDIES. TESTS WITH A SERIES 420 16-2/3 HZ A.C. TRAINSET EQUIPPED WITH DIFFERENT ASYMMETRIC THYRISTOR BRIDGES WITH CONTROLLED WAVE TURN-OFF
The present report gives an account of tests with the trainset 420 075 of the German Federal Railways which was equipped with three different types of thyristor gate pulse and wave turn-off control. The object of the tests was to determine by how much it is possible to improve the power factor by wave gate firing and turn-off control and to measure the harmonics spectrum and frequency weighted interference current generated by this system. From the results it may be concluded that the reactive and r.m.s. kVA can be reduced at the cost of more electronic equipment by gate firing and turn-off control, resulting in an improvement of the power factor. The effect on the harmonics and the frequency weighted interference current differs depending on the circuit design and the interference current increases in some cases.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric power conditioning; Multiple unit trains; Power factor (Electricity); Railroad commuter service; Thyristors
- Identifier Terms: Deutsche Bahn; Deutsche Bundesbahn
- Uncontrolled Terms: S-Bahn (Stadtschnellbahn)
- Old TRIS Terms: Power factor; Question a122; Thyristor control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00052664
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A122/RP 15/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1976 12:00AM