CAROF'S MASTER/CHIEF MATE SIMULATOR TRAINING EXPERIMENT
During the past year, as Phase II of a joint Coast Guard-Maritime Administration research project, a training experiment was conducted at CAORF, utilizing chief mates who were in the process of upgrading to master. This experiment is the first of a series of screening experiments designed to identify simulator characteristics which have nontrivial effects on training effectiveness. In response to the Port and Tanker Safety Act of 1978, the Coast Guard is interested in accrediting simulator-based training programs, which would be required as an additional prerequisite for obtaining a license. Minimum design standards for critical simulator and training program variables would be one alternative means of such accreditation. The Maritime Administration is interested in assisting industry to cost-effectively incorporate simulator training into the mariner training process. The identification of critical factors affecting training effectiveness would be most beneficial in the cost-effective design and operation of a mariner simulator-based training facility. The purpose of this paper is to describe in detail the Phase II experiment and report on the status of the experimental results.
- One of 28 technical papers published in the Proceedings of the Third Annual CAORF Symposium, Maritime Simulation Research, held October 15-16, 1979, King's Point, N.Y. See MRIS Abstract No. 310209.
National Maritime Research Center, Kings PointUnited States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY United States 11024
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Gynther, J
- Gaffney, M
- Gilder, M
- Publication Date: 1979-10-15
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Licensing; Military personnel; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators; Simulation; Training; Training programs; Training simulators
- Old TRIS Terms: Licensing requirements; Officer training
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00310215
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 9 Conf Paper
- Contract Numbers: MA-5-38003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 22 1980 12:00AM