RUNNING SAFETY OF VEHICLES FITTED WITH THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER. ADVISABILITY OF THE SYSTEMATIC FITTING OF A VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL STABILIZING ARTICULATION (PART 1: TWO-AXLED WAGONS); CALCULATION BASES FOR DETERMINING THE PERMISSIBLE LONGITUDINAL COMPRESSIVE FORCE FOR TWO-AXLED WAGONS WITHOUT ALLOWING FOR THE INTRODUCTION OF A PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION SYSTEM. PART 1: REPORT
The report contains the results of different calculations made using a method, described in the appendix to the report, permitting the calculation of the maximum compressive longitudinal force which a given wagon can withstand without becoming derailed. The results are distinguished according to two cases, namely: a) The results of the comparative calculations for two-axled wagons fitted with a complete vertical and horizontal stabilizing articulation and for two-axled wagons fitted with a classical UIC articulation clearly show that all existing and future two-axled wagons should be fitted with complete vertical and horizontal stabilizing articulation systems; b) The results of different calculations made for two-axled wagons fitted with a complete vertical and horizontal stabilizing articulation, viz. for a certain number of wagons standardized in accordance with UIC leaflet 571 as well as for a whole range of possible wagon dimensions. The results are given in the form of diagrams and lists which clearly show the influence of certain parameters (e.g. the tare-weight of the wagon, the wheelbase or the c/a ratio, the stiffness of the suspension springs, the torsional stiffness of the wagon body). As indicated in the calculation methods, these take into account neither the progressive suspension nor the effect of the component of gravity due to superelevation. In the meantime, a method has been developed for two-axled wagons which enables these two factors to be taken into account. This method is at present being checked. It will form the subject of a supplement to the present report.
- See also RRIS numbers 03 052630 and 03 052631 in Bulletin 7502. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Force; Freight cars; Stability (Mechanics); Train track dynamics; Two axle cars; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Longitudinal forces
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic coupling; Freight car design; Question b125; Running stability
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052629
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B125/RP 3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM