STUDIES IN CONNECTION WITH THE LAYOUT AND OPERATION OF FIXED INSTALLATIONS FOR WRONG-TRACK RUNNING
This report deals with the elaboration of new methods applicable to studies in connection with the layout of fixed installations for wrong-track running and the operation of lines equipped with such installations. Three models have been developed. The first is designed for analyzing a priori the best layout of fixed installations for wrong-track running and the influence of the parameters involved. It has permitted a number of general results to be obtained with regard to the number of fixed installations for wrong-track running, the number of trains to be run in 'groups", etc. The second model is devoted to the pre-planning of the train running diagram, when single-track working is required as a result, for example, of work planned in advance; this running diagram is designed to approximate as closely as possible the normal train running graph for double-track working. The object of the third model is to organize the train traffic in real time in such that the delay incurred by the trains is reduced to the minimum on a line where, as a result of an incident, a fixed installation for wrong-track running must be unexpectedly placed in service. The first model is a theoretical one where certain simplifying hypotheses have been used. The last two models take the case of the Channel Tunnel (1970 or 1971 hypotheses) by way of concrete example.
- A summary contained in ORE report #AZ40/RP 6/E, RRIS #052600, Section 17, RRIS Bulletin 7502. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Auclair, J P
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic train control; Computer programs; Information processing; Maintenance management; Maintenance practices; Operations; Planning; Railroad facility operations; Railroad traffic; Single track
- Identifier Terms: Channel Tunnel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Line capacity
- Old TRIS Terms: Question az40; Single track operations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052627
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 10 1976 12:00AM