COMPUTERIZED MANAGEMENT OF LOCOMOTIVE DRIVERS ROSTERED RUNNING SCHEDULES
The establishment of locomotive drivers rostered running schedules is as a rule a laborious task since there are a large number of factors to be taken into account (train running schedules and directives concerning the employment of footplate staff). In order to obtain rostered running schedules with "idle-times" reduced to the minimum and in order to facilitate the establishment of these schedules in automating the work as far as possible, an attempt has been made to solve the problem with the help of an electronic data processing device. The "Istituto di Elaborazione del'Informazione del CNR" (Institute for the Preparation of Information for the National Research Council), in collaboration with FS Specialists, has prepared a program in FORTRAN language, by means of which, in assigning a group of trains to a locomotive depot, the drivers' rostered running schedules can be fixed. By means of linear programming methods, rostered schedules composed of runs between two successive idle periods in the parent depot, and in which schedules the idle times are reduced to the minimum, are established. These rostered running schedules are successively allocated to the drivers in such a way as to obtain the optimum use of the footplate staff, while taking into account union rules.
- A summary contained in ORE report #AZ40/RP 6/E, RRIS #052600, Section 17, RRIS Bulletin 7502. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Miliani, F
- Tacci, G
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 3 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Information processing; Linear programming; Personnel management; Scheduling; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Ferrovie dello Stato; FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Old TRIS Terms: Question az40
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052620
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 10 1975 12:00AM