TEST ON AUTOMATIC COUPLERS. WORK OF COMMITTEE B51 FROM JANUARY 1972 TO DECEMBER 1973 AND THE CURRENT STATE OF THE STUDIES AND TESTS RELATING TO THE INTRODUCTION OF THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER
The report gives an account of the current state of the work carried out in connection with the introduction of the automatic coupler and the studies and tests made for this purpose from January 1972 to December 1973. Special attention was given to the following questions: Studies and tests relating to the design of the basic type of the automatic coupler and completion of this work; Studies and tests relating to the riding stability of wagons with automatic centre buffer couplers with the object of a) limiting the longitudinal compressive forces in the train by a suitable choice of elastic systems and variation of the brake characteristics b) controlling the longitudinal compressive forces in the train by the use of a stabilising articulation with vertical and horizontal alignment control, in short, a universal articulation; - studies and tests with passenger coaches equipped with automatic couplers, mixed air couplings, intermediate parts for train ferry services and different types of electric plug contacts, relating to the question of coupler wear in service, to the need for protection covers and to shunting procedures to be used for wagons equipped with automatic couplers; - current state of the work on the compilation and revision of several UIC and Joint UIC/OSJD Specification Leaflets.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Motor vehicles; Ride quality; Stability (Mechanics); Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Automatic coupling; Center buffer couplers; Question b51
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052607
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B51/RP 15/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1976 12:00AM