PREVENTION OF DERAILMENT OF GOODS WAGONS ON DISTORTED TRACKS. ENQUIRY ON THE DISTRIBUTION OF TRACK TWISTS FOR BASE LENGTHS OF 1.80 TO 19.80 M
The determination of the maximum permissible torsional rigidity ensuring the rolling safety of a vehicle the wheelsets of which are exposed to guiding forces, requires knowledge of the magnitude of the track twists which this vehicle may encounter. These track twist values depend on the wheel-base of the vehicle. The results of the first inquiry of the Committee on the distribution of track twists, presented in the ORE Report B 55/RP 2, relate only to track twists referred to as a base of 5 m. They cannot be extrapolated to other base lengths. A new enquiry was therefore carried out, the results of which cover the wheelbase range from 1.80 to 19.80 m. The statistical analysis of the measured values has made it possible to define a formula for calculating, for a chosen probability level, the track twists likely to be encountered depending on the track category and the base length. Taking into account the measured values and the statistical analysis of these measurements on the one hand and, on the other, the limit values of the nominal track twists in transition curves, which differ from one Administration to another, formulae are established to determine, on behalf of the vehicle designs, the permissible limit twists g SUB lim in function of the base b = 2a.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1973-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Cross sections; Deformation; Quality control; Railroad tracks; Structural design; Train track dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track geometry
- Old TRIS Terms: Cross level; Question b55; Track deformation; Track quality
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00052596
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B55/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM